The Maker_Space at AK Bell Library is an exciting newly created resource which makes a number of creative technologies easily accessible for anyone wanting to experiment and/or develop using these technologies as part of their creative practice and business. A creative zone where you can bring your ideas to life.
The Maker_Space is open to Culture Perth & Kinross Library members (free to join) following a brief introduction to the equipment available. It has been developed to encourage and support creatives in the area, new business start-ups and anyone with an interest in getting to know and use the developing creative technology as part of their practice. It provides hands-on opportunities to use 3D printing, 3D scanning, the Adobe Creative Cloud, a green screen and so much more.
Step 1: If not already a CPK Library Member, it’s easy to get membership either in person at any Perth & Kinross Library, or you can join online via the Join the Library section of the Culture Perth & Kinross website.
Step 2: Book yourself an ‘Introduction Session’ to the Maker_Space to come and see just what is available and have your Library Membership upgraded to include access to the Maker_Space.
Step 3: Book yourself some time whenever you require access to specific Maker_Space equipment. This can be done via the CPK Libraries App or the Culture Perth & Kinross website, via the OPAC terminals in the library or at the main library desk.
The majority of the equipment is free to use, however, a fair usage materials pricing policy does apply if you’re using the 3D Printer or the large format printer, each job will be quoted for on request.
The following resources are available:
- HP Sprout Pro with Design & photo manipulation platform, 3D scanning and imaging, Adobe Creative Cloud for art, graphics & animation and Cura 3D printing control software
- Graphics & Coding PC’s with TinkerCAD, Meshmixer, Scratch, Code Academy, Lego Mindstorms and other software can be made available on request
- Minecraft & Coding PC
- Ultimaker 3D Printer
- Wide Format Plotter/Printer which can print on a variety of available media of glossy sheet and plain roll (available at cost). Other media can be used if supplied by the user.
- Podcast Studio which includes recording equipment for your own broadcasts
- Photography & Animation Studio including coloured screens, lighting and photography equipment and a Zoob construction kit
- Robotics & Coding with Lego Mindstorms, Arduino and Raspberry Pi
The Maker_Space is located on the first floor at the AK Bell Library and is open during Library Opening Hours which are:
Tuesday & Thursday : 09:30 – 20:00
Wednesday & Friday : 09:30 – 17:00
Saturday : 09:30 – 13:00
Sunday & Monday : Closed